Tug Captain, Côte-Nord
Tug Captain, Côte-Nord
Are you considering a career change that will bring you new challenges?
Join a team of passionate people who look to the future with strength and determination. Ocean selects and develops the best talents in the industry by offering you a healthy and fulfilling work environment that allows you to surpass yourself every day, at each project! Do you want to contribute to the growing success of a well-established Quebec entrepreneurial flagship, a leader in the maritime industry? A company for which health, safety and respect of the environment are primary. An international company with a human dimension that puts the employee at the heart of it’s priorities, because after all, it’s with them that the Ocean story continues.
- Company: Ocean Towing Côte-Nord
- Location: Sept-Iles or Port-Cartier
- Department: Operations
- Work schedule: 14 days ON/14 days OFF
- Status: Permanent
A BRIEF OVERVIEW OF WHAT TO EXPECT
You have all the certificates and licences in hands?
You have at least one year’s experience as a master of an azimuth-propelled tugboat?
You will have to carry out port towing operations on an azimuthal tug (Z-Drive) in Sept-Îles or Port-Cartier.
You will be in charge of the crew, which can vary from two to six employees, and you will be responsible for the maintenance of the ship.
Are you interested? Read on to find out all the details about your future job!
RESPONSIBILITIES YOU WILL BE ENTRUSTED WITH
- Lead a crew that can vary from two to six employees
- Verify that the vessel and crew have the necessary certification for the area of operation
- Check the proper functioning of the ship’s equipment
- Ensure the proper conduct of towing manoeuvres
- Ensure the ship’s stability in all conditions
- See to the ship’s stability in all conditions
- Prepare and validate lists of repairs and changes with the chief engineer
- Coordinate the maintenance and preventive programs for the ship’s equipment
- Inspect material, structure and equipment according to the SINEX maintenance program
- Promote and maintain the health and safety of all persons on board the vessel
- Apply the company’s safety and environmental protection policies
- Apply and audit the company’s SMS system
- Perform any other related duties requested by the immediate superior
- Valid Canadian Master’s certificate, 500 gross tonnage, Near coastal, with 3000 tugs endorsement (M500 – T3000);
- Valid Marine Medical certificate issued by Transports Canada;
- Certificate of Marine advanced first aid training at sea;
- Certificates of Proficiency (CoP): MED Proficiency in survival craft and rescue boats other than fast rescue boats; STCW Basic Safety; Advanced Fire Fighting;
- Maritime Commercial Restricted Radio Operator Certificate (CRO-CM);
- Knowledge of how a quality system works with ISM standards (SMS)
- Minimum of five (5) years experience on a vessel as Master or First Officer.
- Minimum of one (1) year experience as a Master on a Z-drive tug;
- Valid class 5 driver’s license
- Available day, night and weekend (essential)
- Disposed to work in difficult climatic conditions
- Available and ready to travel out of port if required
- Knowledge of Office suite software (Outlook, Word, Excel)
- Bilingual French/English an asset
- Teamwork skills
- Be open to learning and development
- Have a sense of leadership
- Have good interpersonal skills and a sense of customer service
- Good dexterity and hand coordination
- Ability to manage risk
- Resistance to stress
WHAT WE OFFER
- Safety equipment and necessary work clothing provided
- Full range of benefits
- Free, family-friendly employee assistance program
- Adapted training program
- Social activities
- Competitive salary