Reporting to the Director of Operations of Ocean Towing Quebec, the incumbent plans, coordinates and oversees operations and maintenance and mechanical repair work on tugs, barges and pilot boats, as well as the work performed on the deck. In addition, he carries out various tasks in connection with the implementation of quality standards. Finally, he manages the human resources under his supervision and is responsible for administrative tasks.
- Oversee day-to-day towing operations while ensuring the efficient use of employee work time;
- Implement the processes and policies required to optimize towing operations, such as ISM standards;
- In collaboration with the Director of port operations, manage various port projects (trips, preparation of ship travel procedure plans, equipment mobilization) and coordinate intercompany activities.
MAINTENANCE AND MECHANICAL REPAIR WORK PLANNING AND MONITORING
- Plan, coordinate, supervise and check regular and preventive maintenance mechanical work included in the program (SINEX system) as well as unscheduled work and repairs;
- Examine the plans, drawings and schematics related to the maintenance and repair/renovation of ships and barges;
- Participate in dockside and at sea testing of the mechanical systems maintained or repaired; recommend and ensure the implementation of the necessary corrective measures;
- Inspect maintenance and repair work on ships and barges to ensure compliance with plans, specifications and the standards of classification societies and Transport Canada.
ADMINISTRATIVE FOLLOW-UP AND HUMAN RESOURCES MANAGEMENT
- Ensure the implementation and observance of applicable quality standards (ISM, ISPS).
- Ensure compliance with Transport Canada and classification societies regulations, and make inspection requests for all tugs under his responsibility;
- Participate in the inspections conducted by classification societies and Transport Canada;
- Identify needs and issue material and supplies requisitions for the purchasing department;
- Supervise, coordinate and organize, if required, the work of the staff under his supervision;
- Ensure, promote and enforce health and safety standards according to the SMS and other standards governing the work of Engineer Officers and Deckhands;
- Participate in hiring and dismissal processes and conducts performance reviews with his supervisor;
- Apply the rules of the collective agreement in collaboration with the Director of Operations;
- Minimum experience of 3 to 5 years in a similar position;
- Hold a College Diploma (DEC) in a relevant field;
- Hold a marine engineering mechanic certificate (an asset);
- Priority management skills;
- Good management of priorities;
- Have a good customer service;
- Demonstrate leadership;
- Ability to mobilize employees under their supervision;
- Good computer skills;
- Be rigorous and autonomous;
- Bilingual : French and English;
- Knowledge of the marine industry (an asset).